Watch Me Grow!

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Mum's Musings - Flying / Travel

'Singapore Girl you're a Great way to fly?'




As i count down the days till Cahaya Rain and I leave on our BIG adventure ( our trip to Sydney ), I have never been so nerve-wracked or bitten my nails down so low! Have I got everything? MY bag has been laid out on the dog's sofa for 2 weeks now. Stroller, carseat, bottles, bibs, baby tylenol, blanket, toys, thermometer, camera, videocam, and a million other things... oh and don't forget the passports!

If 15 years as a trolley dolly have taught me anything - crew DO NOT LIKE BABIES.
That is, except for squeezing their chubby cheeks and feet ( of which I can provide both ) or if said baby is fast asleep in the bassinet ( you fought tooth and nail to get! )

I can proudly and honestly say that in 15 years I was never wilfully mean or nasty to any child, baby or family travelling on any of my flights. Indifferent, yes, Nasty, no.

I not so proudly have to admit that I would get 'alarm bells' ringing when pre-boarding started and all the families with hundreds of kids scrambled on board. Hail Mary full of Grace, please put them in another place ( not my zone ! )

Some crew would do terrible things to the kids, like steal their Kit-Kats off the children's meal trays! But honestly speaking, it never got any worse than that. At worst, a crew member was INDIFFERENT.

It was often funny to see the older male Leading and Chief Stewards going out of their way to be so nice and helpful to families - I didn't get it then, but I do now. THEY HAD THEIR OWN FAMILIES!! They UNDERSTOOD.

Now 20 years and one 5 month old baby on, I am finally enlightened. And to think when someone would scornfully say to me - "You wouldn't understand... you don't have kids" , I'd just scoff and say to myself " oh what crock! " . Well, well, well, we've come FULL CIRCLE haven't we! Is Karma going to deal me a bad hand? Or should I say, an Evil stewardess? Will Cruella de Ville be working my zone ? My aisle? Scornfully eyeing me as I sit down in her 'zone', begrudging me as she has to go fetch diapers, milk, toys etc to show me and see what I want?... grumbling as she has to set up the bassinet after take-off? Will she give me that look which makes me feel guilty when my baby cries, as if to say "welllll.. do something about it, you're the MOM! "

Knowing MY luck.. I probably will get such a person!

But anyways, I'm still hoping and praying that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE I will get one of those 'FLYING MUMS or DADS' who will 'get' the predicament I'm in, and cut me some slack.

MAYBE Cahaya will be a good girl and sleep through the entire flight (un-drugged)
MAYBE all will go according to my 'Grand Plan'
MAYBE, MAYBE, MAYBE.
MAYBE, BABY!!

No comments:

CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG!

This blog has come to an end at the end of 2007... pls visit my 2008 blog at http://cahayarainthomas08.blogspot.com/ ( be sure to mark it under your favourites! )

DEAR FOLKS, THE YEAR HAS COME TO AN END AND SO HAS THIS BLOG.
PLEASE VISIT ME AT MY NEW BLOG FOR 2009. THE ADDRESS IS:
http://www.cahayarainthomas09.blogspot.com
LOVE ALL MY FANS!!